Pages

Friday, September 21, 2012

Animal Print Cake

This is a cake I did last year.  I'll admit it, I had no idea what I was doing.  I got a phone call from a lady who I had made a cake for the year before for her daughter's 16th birthday.  The daughter wanted an animal print cake.  I told them I could do it without really knowing how.  I figured the best way to do it would be to "paint" the cake.  I went to cakecentral.com and did some research and learned that you can mix luster dust with clear vanilla extract or vodka to make a kind of paint.  I ended up coloring the fondant to what I hoped to be a tan animal pelt like color.  Instead it turned kind of a peachy color.  Yuck.  I ended up painting the whole thing with my luster dust/vanilla mixture and then the spots on top of that.  All in all I was pretty pleased with it, especially for being the worst artist on the planet.  Seriously, I have no artistic skill.  Also, thank God for fondant borders that cover up my amateurish imperfections.







2 comments: